Monday, September 12, 2011

Massai burns!

Two Wednesday’s ago I finally gave in, got brave, and got my Massai burns. I had to decide whether I wanted them or not and if so, I had to get them ASAP. We are going to Zanzibar in two weeks and I knew if I waited until the last minute to get the burns that the salt water would KILL them. So, two Wednesday’s ago it was. 
I have seen at least 60 people get burns since I have been here and it still had not prepared me for it. If anything, it made me more scared of them. When I first got here and saw everyone getting them I had no desire to get one. Then after being here for two months it started to make sense to me why people got them, or at least why I wanted to get some. 
Being here in Africa is something I cannot explain to anyone. It has to be experienced. I know I will never forget it and I know it has changed my life and my heart, just like Haiti did four summers ago. It has become a part of the person I am and I want to leave with something that represents my time here. So... what better a way than to get branded? :) 
I have talked about the Massai in many previous posts and also about people getting their Massai burns. Massai is the largest traditional African tribe in Eastern Africa and not a day goes by that I do not see many, many Massai people. They are everywhere and you can always pick them out of a crowd by the way they look and dress. They almost stick out as much as Mzungus! 
Many things are common in the Massai world. Wearing red, orange and purple congas and Massai blankets. The stretched out ear lobes. The jingling jewelry. The tire soled shoes. And Massai burns. 
Zaki is the name of one of the two house guards we have here. He is amazing and we love him very much. We see him every day and almost all day. One of the main reasons  I gave in to the burns, other that it being a bonding experience with all the previous TVE volunteers and to symbolize my time in Africa, is that Zaki took us to his Massai tribe three hours away. We got to see him way of life and the people shared with us so freely. Tanzania is a beautiful country and they are beautiful people. The Massai in my mind, are very much a staple of Eastern Africa. 
Usually the Massai have two burns on each cheek and they receive them as a rite of passage into adulthood. This usually occurs before the children are 10 years of age. Zaki has one on each cheek. I didn’t think that would be a good look for me so I got two of them on my left foot, side by side, on the same spot as I have my “Haiti” tattoo on my right foot. 
It wasn’t even a day before they were infected, my foot was swollen, and I was limping. But it was worth it. They are healing now and I have not regretted it for a second. <3

Getting prepared. 
The first one hurt SO BAD. 

First one finished.


Second one hurt worse.




At the Massai village this weekend. My burns are officially dried out. HEALING! 

No comments:

Post a Comment